I’m about to do something unprecedented and blog about a restaurant without photos. But it’s well worth the read, trust me. I had the most amazing meal last night at Hudson Clearwater. It’s really a hidden gem - invisible from the street and located behind a nondescript, green door steps from the corner of Hudson & Morton.
Intrigued? Thought so. Now add to that a good looking (and friendly) staff, beautiful patrons and exquisite food at reasonable prices. Places like these remind me why I love this city.
Here are the highlights:
- Aged Cheddar Shortcake with Root Vegetables and Horseradish Creme Fraiche ($9) - This dish was both comforting and sophisticated. The shortcake was more like scone meets biscuit; and the horseradish creme fraiche had serious kick, which helped to balance the cheddar.
- Duck Leg Confit, Carmelized Turnips, Fennel Puree, Sage Jus ($13) - Decadent, savory, tender. It’s hard to go wrong when you cook meat in its own fat, but this dish was particularly good. The meat just fell off the bone.
- Cider-Brined Brook Trout, Braised Cabbage Tartlet, Honey Cinnammon Gastrique ($12) - I would have been happy with just the cabbage tartlet. I mean, they’ve managed to make the most unappealing vegetable, unbelievably delicious. Add in perfectly cooked slices of trout and it’s magic.
- Black Sea Bass, Smashed Rubataga (swedish turnip), Brussel Sprouts, Sunchoke Chips, Pomegranate ($18) - Nothing makes me happier than properly cooked fish - crisp on the outside, tender on the inside. The accompaniments were mild yet satisfying.
- Cured Pork Belly, Grilled Beets, Creamy Polenta, Cherry-Dickel Caramel ($17) - Pork belly dishes are a dime a dozen, but this one stood out. The pork was succulent and the creamy polenta was to die for. The beets didn’t add much to the plate, but I still loved this dish.
- Kale & Celery Root Strudel , Sage Puree ($6) - Like a spinach pie, but a million times better. You have to get this side dish. I could’ve had three orders to myself.
Is your mouth watering? Thought so. Do yourself a favor and check this place out ASAP. Don’t think twice about a late reservation, just take it. I absolutely loved it and you will too.
447 Hudson St (between Morton St & Barrow St)